Tuesday, March 15, 2011

32 Week Appointment

Well- I did not have a great appointment, but everything is good now. I went for my 32 week checkup and I had gained 4 pounds (for a total of 15 during the pregnancy). These last few weeks I seem to be gaining weight no matter what I do and it is stressing me out. I have been so proud of how I've been doing, and I feel a little deflated. She told me it was nothing to worry about and that I was still doing fine. I told Dr. Pitcher that I was feeling a little tired and that I just chalked it up to the pregnancy. Being the over cautious doctor she is (which is why I love her), she tested my iron and sure enough it was low. So for the next few weeks I will be taking an iron supplement in addition to my prenatal.

I also told her that I had some bad cramping in my left leg that had been hanging around for about a week. She was concerned this could be a blood clot, and sent me straight to the ER to have an ultrasound of my leg. It was NOT a fun time. I was there from 4:30 until 11:00. Once I got in my room, things went very quickly. However- I had to wait almost 4 hours in the waiting room after I was triaged. The nurses were very nice, and gave me a private place to wait so I did not have to be there with the (not exaggerating) 40 other people in the waiting room. I was glad to be alone because there were A LOT of drug addicts that were seeking drugs and looked pretty crazy. I know they were drug-seeking because I was right by the nurses' station and would hear them talking about them.

After I got back, my nurses were again wonderful. I was seen right away by the doctor. I then waited for U/S to get me. The tech told me she thought my leg was clear of a clot. The radiologist got my report completed in only 30 minutes, and my doctor was back 15 minutes after that to discharge me.

Overall, it was not a great experience, but better safe than sorry. Scott summed up our feelings pretty well. He said, "I am going to be so happy and so pissed when this comes back to be nothing." We were happy everything was good, but pissed that it took so much time of uncomfortableness and will end up taking so much money out of our pocket :)

Here's to hoping for a better appointment at 34 weeks (on 3/28/2011)!

No comments:

Post a Comment