Monday, March 28, 2011

Grandma

My maternal grandmother, Bettye Blaylock lives in Atherton Place in Marietta. It is a beautiful seniors' community with an amazing staff and beautiful accomodations. Grandma lives in an apartment on the assisted living floor. I visit her once or twice a week, and we always have nice visits. She is very excited about my pregnancy and meeting her first great grandchild. Baby Cate is usually the topic of conversation. Sometimes my visits coincide with her mealtimes. On those days, I usually pull up a seat and chat with "the Ladies". She sits at a table with five other widowed women. They are very sweet and always interested in learning more about me. I leave there smiling everytime. It is SO funny when I see Grandma's table mates, because everytime I go they do not remember that I am pregnant. I tell my mom it is like the movie "Groundhogs Day". I have the same conversation over and over. This is the conversation EVERY TIME I visit the table: "Oh you're pregnant! How wonderful." "How far along are you?" "When are you due?" "Oh a spring baby is just perfect". "My daughter is born in May and that was my anniversary" "Is it a boy or a girl?" "Bettye- is this your first great-grandchild?" I guess there is comfort in consistency, and I am glad that each time I visit I give the ladies something "new" to discuss. Well, at least new for them. Grandma catches on, and we just smile and continue the conversation we have had oh so many times :)

1 comment:

  1. Jess, So sweet you get to go visit her. I'm sure it means SO much to her!! Sounds like those other ladies love it too!!

    ReplyDelete